Variscite is also known as Amatrice or Utahlite. It is a hydrated aluminum phosphate which is usually found in light green colors with patterned brown veins. Variscite was named after the Latin word for Vogtland in Saxony, Germany because the stone’s color matched the costumes of the traditional spring festivals (which may still be seen today).
Variscite forms mostly as bulbous, course masses or as small encrustrations on a rocky matrix. Variscite is found mainly in the USA, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Bolivia, Australia, Japan, Mozambique, UK, Spain, France and Belgium. It has a large span of hardness as a 3.5 to a 5 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness.
Because the brown veins in green Variscite resemble tracks across the lands, it was used in sacred earth awareness ceremonies by Native Americans and Australian Aborigines.
Surface Color: Green with Brown (rarely red, gray and white)
Streak Color: (can vary from surface color, this is the color of the crystals’ powdered minerals): White
Cleavage (where the crystal breaks off naturally to form a new face, parallel to its structure. This is a clean break and can cleave over and over again along the same face, retaining the crystals structure): Perfect
Fracture (where you break the crystal not on a natural cleavage): Brittle, Conchoidal (clam-like fracture which looks like broken glass)
Transparency: Transparent (light flows through crystal unobstructed) to Opaque (light does not flow through)
Crystal System: Orthorhombic (short, compact needles)
Crystal Habit: Nodules, Masses, Druses, Octahedral
- Variscite is known as the “Stone of Encouragement”
- Variscite provides hope and encouragement for the caretakers or the ill and invalid
- Variscite increases social confidence for the shy
- Place Variscite in the money corner to bring abundance to the home
- Variscite aids in networking
- Variscite eases the tensions of relocation
- Variscite is the best earth-energy stone to work with the sacred earth sites, stone circles, turf labyrinths and holy sites
- Variscite helps calm the nervous system
- Wear over the heart at the wrist to revitalize the blood, main arteries and vessels
- Place on an animal’s collar to help them settle into a new habitat
- Place Variscite under the pillow and ask for dreams to reveal past lives
- Place Variscite over the stomach for the health of a fetus
- Drink Variscite as an elixir to neutralize overacidity, gout, gastritis, ulcers and rheumatism
- Place Variscite stones or slabs at the lower back to neutralize cramps
- Carry Variscite at the pocket or wear as a bracelet or ring for male impotence
Seek new contacts and friends among existing networks. You may enjoy a new group activity or holiday more than you think.
Variscite is a relatively rare crystal that is sometimes confused with the more known Turquoise. Because it takes a good polish, Variscite can easily be created into cabochons and set in all sorts of jewelry. Its green color and interesting brown veins make it an interesting piece to use in natural fashion. Here at I Dig Crystals, we use genuine Variscite in pendants, necklaces, rings and chakra plates.