Celestite, also known as Celestine, is a light blue crystal often confused with Barite. However, a flame test will reveal that Celestite burns a bright red, thanks to its Strontium content, whereas Barite burns a pale green. Celestite is a Strontium Sulfate which is often found as Geode cavities in sedimentary rock (formed from collecting sediment minerals). Geodes are enclosed cavities of rocks that crystallize in the center. When you open the geode, you will find beautiful crystal points.
Crystal Cave in Ohio has the world’s largest Celestite Geode, big enough that you can walk right into it like a cave!
Celestite has long been mined for fireworks thanks to its bright red flame. It is also used to make video display glass because the Strontium is nontoxic and shields the viewer from X-rays of televisions and computers.
Celestite is relatively soft at 3 to 3.5 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness. The blue coloring comes from the inclusions of Carbon and Iron.
Note: Celestite will fade in sunlight.
- Celestite helps to open your communication center, wear it at your Throat Chakra. Especially beneficial for public speaking, bringing fluency and clear pronunciation.
- Have your partner carry a similar piece of Celestite to connect yourselves telepathically, especially effective when you both program the crystal for the same purpose.
- Place a cluster of Celestite to protect from electromagnetic rays.
- Keep Celestite with you to help guide you, especially through times of indecision, Celestite will remind you to listen to your intuition.
- Celestite helps heal ear related problems – hearing, ear pain, altitude blockage. Drink as an elixir.
- Surface Color: Blue, Clear, Yellow, Green, Brown
- Streak Color (can vary from surface color, this is the color of the crystals’ powdered minerals): White
- Group: Barite
- Cleavage (where the crystal breaks off naturally to form a new face, parallel to its structure. This is a clean break and can cleave over and over again along the same face, retaining the crystals structure): perfect in one direction, less in another.
- Luster: Vitreous (glassy)
- Transparency: Transparent (allows light through) to Translucent (allows light through the crystal but not fully transparent)
- Crystal System: Orthorhombic (3 unequal axis at right angles to each other)
- Crystal Habit: fibrous, granular, tabular, nodular
Not that often featured in jewelry. We do have Celestite clusters for charging your crystal healing jewelry. Once in a while we obtain Celestite pieces we can make into jewelry for you.