Citrine is yellow Quartz which gets its color from Iron. Citrine means “lemon” in French.
Natural Citrines are rare. Natural Citrines are heated from volcanic activity. About 99% of the Citrine you will find on the market today is heat-treated Amethysts or Smoky Quartz, both of which turn yellow at high temperatures. Most heat-treated Citrines have a reddish tint whereas Citrine which has been naturally heated by the earth will be a pale yellow.
Natural Citrines are found in Brazil, Madagascar, USA, Argentina, Burma, Namibia, Russia, South Africa, Scotland and Spain.
Like Quartz, Citrine has a hardness of 7 – 7.5 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness. Citrine is sometimes falsely marketed as Topaz, but can be easily distinguished because Topaz is much harder.
Ametrine occurs when veins of Citrine form with Amethyst. Ametrine is a valuable crystal and will show both yellow Citrine and purple Amethyst.
- Citrine carries the power of the sun and brings warmth and strength
- Increases self confidence and personal power at the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Heat treated by man or nature, Citrine is an altered form of Quartz, so it is still expanding all of our energies.
- Lifts your emotions and nurtures optimism.
- Increases creativity
- Known as the Merchant’s stone because it flows with the frequency of cash in the universe – place small pieces in your wallet or wherever you keep cash for an even in and out flow of money.
- Keep Citrine in your money corner or cash register in your place of business for increased financial wealth.
- Pair it with Aventurine (the abundance stone) to call in abundance of all types.
- Stimulates kidneys, liver and muscles when taken as a gem elixir.
- Aids in digestion when taken as a gem elixir or placed on the stomach.
Note: Citrine will fade in the sunlight
Surface Color: Light to Dark yellow, Gold-brown
Streak Color: (can vary from surface color, this is the color of the crystals’ powdered minerals): White
Group: Silicon dioxide (same as Quartz)
Cleavage (where the crystal breaks off naturally to form a new face, parallel to its structure. This is a clean break and can cleave over and over again along the same face, retaining the crystals structure): Conchoidal
Fracture (where you break the crystal not on a natural cleavage): Conchoidal – (a clam-like fracture which looks like broken glass)
Luster: Vitreous (glass-like)
Tenacity: Very Brittle (points can come apart easily, that why you will often see clusters wrapped with tissue paper around the edges)
Transparency: Transparent (can see through without obstuctions)
Crystal System: Hexagonal (Trigonal) = 6 sided points
Crystal Habit: Prismatic (prism are faces that run parallel to the axis of the crystal rather than criss-cross)
Selling crystals, I have heard countless accounts of how Citrine has helped keep a good cash flow in peoples’ lives. Even the most skeptical will come and pick out a tiny piece of Citrine, clean, charge and program it and come back for Citrine gifts when they are shocked that it worked!
We keep a Citrine point on our cash register at Satin Crystals and tumbled Citrines inside for cash flow and constant business!
Personally, I have always gravitated towards Aventurine rather than Citrine for abundance purposes, but I like to use Citrine for the Solar Plexus. It has a wonderful warming energy, I can feel my personal power and confidence strengthen when wearing Citrine or placing it on my stomach.
Natural Citrine is quite pricey in Jewelry. Heat treated Citrine is abundant and can be worn in all jewelry forms. Especially great as bracelets, rings and long necklaces that will reach the Solar Plexus Chakra.