How to Care for your Jewelry
For those of you wondering about how to care for your healing stone jewelry so it remains physically stellar, we have some tips for you! Besides energetically cleaning, charging, and programming gemstone jewelry for healing, you want to care for it physically.
Caring for Jewelry Components
Keep stretch cord jewelry out of prolonged water. Over time, stretch cord jewelry will stretch out. The more you wear it, the more the elasticity will wear out. It’s best to get your stretch bracelets, anklets, and necklaces restrung as soon as you feel some lax in the cord.
Plated metals will peel and fade over time. Metals will oxidize over time, so go with the flow and embrace the urban decay into antiquity. Nothing stays young and shiny forever, appreciate the aging process.
Treat your gemstone jewelry with care. Don’t pull on jewelry cords or clasps with excessive force.
Gently squeeze and wrap metal cuffs, memory wire, and adjustable rings so as not to bend the metal out of shape.
Cleaning Jewelry Metals
If you have precious metals like sterling silver or gold on your jewelry, they will always tarnish and oxidize over time. You can use a polishing cloth or metal liquid solution to clean these parts. Be careful that the stones are okay in the solution because some gems may not be suitable with certain chemicals.
If you have plated metals, you can try the toothbrush metal. Place your tarnished plated metals in a tray with a tiny bit of water, use an old toothbrush with some toothpaste, like you're going to brush your teeth, and get to scrubbing. Scrub each piece for at least 30 seconds before rinsing and drying completely. Again, be mindful of not scrubbing the stones in your jewelry.
If you have copper metals, use a paste of equal parts vinegar, flour, and salt. Again, be mindful of your stones in the jewelry, many softer stones will react in the vinegar acid.
Can sterling silver make my finger green?
Contrary to popular belief, sterling silver can turn your finger green. This is because it is not pure silver. Pure silver is too soft to use in jewelry, so sterling silver is used instead. Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver mixed with another metal. The other 7.5% is usually copper, and as we know, copper can turn your finger green!
Sterling silver will not always turn your skin green. It depends on the atmosphere and your body chemistry. However, if you do notice a green tinge on your skin, it's nothing to fear, it is not harmful to your body. You can even prevent it in the future by applying clear nail polish to the inside of your rings or purchasing plated sterling silver in the future.
How do you seal jewelry?
Whether you have metal allergies or want to prevent tarnish from the get-go, it's a good idea to seal your jewelry. Simply coat it with clear nail polish, clear paint, or take it a step further and use a jewelry shield.
Jewelry shields protect from allergies, tarnish, and irritation.
Caring for Jewelry Stones
Keep your healing stone beads out of the water if they are softer stones like Selenite, Angelite, or Pyrite that are not stabilized and will dissolve in water. Ask if unsure!
Treat your healing stone jewelry with care. Don’t pull, slam, bang natural stones as they are not indestructible pieces of plastic!
Some stones may fade in the sun or change colors with wear. Embrace the transformation as you do the changing seasons of the world.
If you do break a bead in your jewelry, you have the option to glue it back in place or have the piece restrung. You may even want to check out kintsugi, a Japanese tradition of enhancing cracks with gold.
If you are too busy to fix your broken beads, they make great stones for potted plants!
Don’t mistake organic veins and craters for cracks though, these are the pits and valleys made by Mother Earth.
Physically Preserving your Jewelry
With these tips and tricks for gemstone jewelry care, you will preserve your pieces for a lifetime. Taking physical care of your Satin Crystals healing jewelry will prolong its wear and keep you united with your stones for years to come.
Shopping for New Jewelry
Want to add some energetic gemstone jewelry to your collection? Visit the Satin Crystals Jewelry Collection or add your favorite pieces right here:
Additional links for your jewelry journeys:
Don't forget to join the Satin Crystals VIP and stay on top of all the latest in crystal healing jewelry.
Crystal Cleansing and Care
Does your jewelry include natural stones? Want to know how to cleanse, charge, and program your crystal healing jewelry? Watch our Crystal Cleansing Video for instructions.
Disclaimer: Crystal healing information is for fun and entertainment only. It is not a replacement for medical treatments.