How to Care for your Jewelry
For those of you wondering about how to care for your healing stone jewelry in the physical realm, we have some tips for you! Besides energetically cleaning, charging and programming gemstone jewelry for healing, you will want to care for it physically.
Caring for Jewelry Findings
- Keep stretch cord jewelry out of prolonged water. Over time, stretch cord jewelry will stretch out. The more you wear it, the more the elasticity will wear out, so it’s best to get your stretch bracelets, anklets and necklaces restrung as soon as you feel some lax in the cord.
- Plated metals will peel and fade over time. Metals will oxidize over time, so go with the flow and embrace the urban decay into antiquity. Nothing stays young and shiny forever, appreciate the aging process.
- Treat your gemstone jewelry with care. Don’t pull on jewelry cords or clasps with excessive force.
- Gently squeeze and wrap metal cuffs, memory wire and adjustable rings so as not to bend the metal out of shape.
Caring for Jewelry Stones
- Keep your healing stone beads out of water if they are softer stones like Selenite, Angelite or Pyrite that are not stabilized and will dissolve in water. Ask if unsure!
- Treat your healing stone jewelry with care. Don’t pull, slam, bang natural stones as they are not indestructible pieces of plastic!
- Some stones may fade in the sun or change colors with wear. Embrace the transformation as you do the changing seasons of the world.
- If you do break a bead in your jewelry, you have the option to glue it back in place or have the piece restrung. You may even want to check out kitsugi, a Japanese tradition of enhancing cracks with gold.
- If you are too lazy to fix your broken beads, they make great stones for potted plants!
- Don’t mistake organic veins and craters for cracks though, these are the pits and valleys made by Mother Earth.
Physically Preserving your Jewelry
With these tips and tricks for gemstone jewelry care, you will preserve your pieces for a lifetime. Taking physical care of your Satin Crystals healing jewelry will prolong its wear and keep you united with your stones for years to come.Author: Sheila Satin