Healing the (5th) Throat Chakra
Color: The Throat Chakra is associated with light blue and turquoise.
Location: The chakra energy vortex flows in a clockwise motion through the throat and out the back of the neck.
Function: The Throat Chakra is all about communication. Traditionally, communication is associated with speech and hearing. In actuality, it involves the entire brain because we must process the information that comes in and form cognitive thoughts that can be expressed when we give out information. Although the throat chakra is the center point of communication, it affects the entire body since we also express ourselves with hand gestures, facial movements, body posture, and more. In this age of technology the written (typed) word is becoming one of the most common forms of communicating with others.
All this being said, it's important to keep our throat chakras open so that we can understand and express ourselves correctly. One of the biggest problems with relationships is misunderstandings. Just because we say something, does not mean the receiver has interpreted it the way in which we intended. This is even trickier via chat and email because the receiver cannot see our body movements nor hear the tone of our voice which usually help to clarify intent. Miscommunication happens often when the 5th Chakra is not fully open, so words and messages can become skewed.
Another issue many of us face is unhealthy ways of expressing ourselves. We all know about the non-accusatory techniques involving "I feel..." statements and avoiding blame when working through a problem, but how many of us actually put it into practice? When emotions are involved, it's easy to engage in negative and counterproductive fighting. In an angry state of mind, it's also easier to misinterpret others and become defensive. Having a balanced Throat Chakra and healthy flow of energy throughout the body helps us to remain calmer, more centered and rational. This way we can avoid the blame game, over-dramatics and the nasty insults.
If the throat chakra is totally blocked, we may find ourselves completely stifled and unable to connect with others at all. The most unhealthy thing one can do is to bottle up negative emotions and feelings. These eventually become outbursts of violent or irrational behavior, or can lead to depression.
Obviously, a healthy Throat Chakra is crucial in connecting us with others and forming positive relationships all while maintaining our own well-being and being true to the self.
We can keep the Throat Chakra open by working with and surrounding ourselves in cool and calming light blue crystals. To see our offerings and learn more about a particular stone, please click the crystal name link:
- Agate Blue Lace- encourages vitality, stamina and an appreciation of nature. It provides a grounding, solid and stable energy. All Agate stones have excellent protective energies and stimulate analytical capabilities.
- Angelite- connects you with your guardian angels, the angel realm, and spirit guides. It is a soothing, peaceful and uplifting stone, very helpful during times of transition. This stone is excellent to activate the throat chakra, opening communication gateways and expression.
- Apatite- is said to help decrease the desire for overeating, helping us in quest of a balanced diet and lifestyle. Apatite is also a stone of manifestation. It stimulates development of our psychic gifts and sense of motivation. It is related to service and to humanitarian pursuits.
- Calcite (blue variety)- helps release compulsive behavior and emotional stress. Physically, since it's made of mostly calcium, Calcite may aid the bones and reduce arthritis.
- Celestite- aids the process of personal expression and public speaking. It is considered to have a highly spiritual energy and provides guidance to those seeking their paths. Celestite works with the Throat and Crown Chakras.
- Chalcedony- stimulates optimism and goodwill. It brings tranquility and promotes mental stability.
- Chrysocolla- is a stone of hope and harmony. It can be used to purify a place or remove negativity from a person. Chrysocolla encourages communication, impartiality and truth telling. Chrysocolla is used to balance the Throat and Heart chakras.
- Kyanite- facilitate one's connection with their intuition, or deepest truth, and it is especially helpful to those searching for or learning to discern the truth of any matter or situation. It helps to quiet the mind,dissolving emotional, mental, or spiritual confusion, and anxiety. Kyanite is particularly good at dissolving anger and frustration.
- Larimar- is a great crystal to have with you when you are anxious, going into surgery or seeing the dentist! Larimar corresponds with the Throat Chakra, helping to balance communication and is excellent for singers.
- Turquoise- unites earth and sky energies with its grounding qualities and its beautiful blue color. Use Turquoise to release old vows, express freely and ease nerves when speaking in public. Turquoise is a popular travel stone, carried or worn to keep you protected on your journeys. Turquoise helps balance and open the Throat Chakra.
Natural Healing While Living Your Life
Use 5th chakra crystals for throat layouts, space cleansing, grid work, Reiki, and meditation. For those of us who want something even more effortless, a 5th chakra stone on a necklace or in earring form ensures we get the energy we need all day long, right up in the head area.
Other ways of keeping the chakra engaged is through singing, listening to music, playing music, attending or conducting sound baths with singing bowls, drum circles, and other creative musical and theatrical productions.
We must keep communicating with one another through speech, writing, and/or every day interactions. It becomes harder when we are buried in the computer and cell phone all day long, but connecting with real people (and pets!) is irreplaceable. It is the meaning of life, and the greatest joy of living.
Thank you for reading, and please visit our 6th Third Eye Chakra page to keep the momentum going!