Moonstone is an opalescent form of Orthoclase. You will find Moonstone under the Orthoclase heading in mineral books. Orthoclase is a member of the Feldspar group which contains aluminosilicate and potassium. Orthoclase is a major rock forming mineral.
Moonstone is distinguishable by its Schiller Sheen, also known as the “floating moon effect”, adularescence or blue and white sheen. This sheen is caused by interlaid Orthoclas and Albite rectangles. If the layers of these interlaid minerals are thin, you will see a blue sheen. If the layers are thick, you will see a white sheen. Moonstone can also show chatoyancy, a narrow cat’s eye reflection.
Moonstone is a 6 to 6.5 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness.
- Surface Color: Cream, White, Yellow, Pink, Peach, Blue, Green
- Streak Color (can vary from surface color, this is the color of the crystals’ powdered minerals): White
- Group: Silicate
- Cleavage (where the crystal breaks off naturally to form a new face, parallel to its structure. This is a clean break and can cleave over and over again along the same face, retaining the crystals structure): Perfect in two directions (in blocky chunks, often in 90 degree angles)
- Fracture (where the crystal breaks randomly not on a cleavage): Uneven
- Luster: Vitreous (glassy)
- Transparency: Transparent (allows light through) to Translucent (allows light through the crystal but not fully transparent)
- Crystal System: Monoclinic (3 unequal axis)
- Crystal Habit: Tabular (broad and flat)
Peach Moonstone varies in colors from peach to light orange. The healing crystal shows an iridescent surface sheen distinguishing of the Moonstone family. Use Peach Moonstone to balance the Solar Plexus and Sacral Chakras.
Rainbow Moonstone is the most prized healing crystal of the Moonstone family. This crystal shows a milky white surface with beautiful shimmering flashes of blues, greens and yellows.
White Moonstone has a translucent, creamy color with a soft surface sheen that rolls over the crystal. Use White Moonstone to balance feminine yin energy and balance the Solar Plexus and Sacral Chakras.
- Moonstone resonates with the moon, charge it in moonlight.
- Switch off carrying a piece of Moonstone with those who you want a harmonious relationship every two weeks.
- Travel with Moonstone for protection
- Moonstone helps you through new beginnings, change, shows you that is as natural as the cycles of the moon.
- Moonstone brings emotional calm at the Solar Plexus, allowing your higher elf to control the emotions so you don’t overreact.
- Moonstone balances the Sacral chakra in fertility, menstruation, regulating PMS, menopause.
- Drink as an elixir to clear skin, eyes, hair
- Wear to ease asthma, opening the breathing passageways
All Moonstone have a beautiful lunar sheen running on its surface. Most people are familiar with the Rainbow Moonstone which is actually white with mesmerizing blue sheen, but a lot of the pieces we have at the store are cream, pink or peach Moonstone with surface shimmer that reminds me of being on a magical Moon. I use Moonstone as a travel stone, I actually keep a tumbled crystal in my purse so I always have it with me, traveling near or far!
Moonstone is a popular crystal for jewelry. Here at I Dig Crystals we create jewelry out of all colors of Moonstone, the most popular being Rainbow Moonstone.