Rose Quartz Article
Rose Quartz, like all of the Quartz Family, is a 7 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, making it hard, glasslike and unbendable.
It is one of the most desirable forms of Quartz because of its attractive pink color. There is still debate as to what minerals cause this pink color. Some people say Iron, some say Titanium, some say Rutile and new studies show it may be a whole new undiscovered mineral.
Rose Quartz is an igneous rock, meaning it’s a rock formed from the solidification of magma. Magma is located beneath the earth's crust and is a high-temperature solution which cools down when in contact with the air as it rises. Magma rises upwards from the earth’s crust because it is less dense than the surrounding rocks (like oil and water effect). This happens over hundreds of years, slowly over time to form rocks like Rose Quartz.
Rose Quartz grew in a gaseous supercritical phase, not from a watery solution, as most other quartz varieties do. So they do not form crystals like other forms of Quartz. Rose quartz never forms crystals. Quartz crystals of a similar color are called pink quartz.
Areas that Rose Quartz is found include Madagascar, Brazil, Sweden, Namibia, Russia, Spain, Scotland, California and Maine.
In Greek mythology, Adonis was attacked by Ares and saved by Aphrodite. As she rushed to save Adonis, she cut herself on the briar bush. Their mingled blood fell on white Quartz and turned into Rose Quartz. Zeus took pity on the pair and restored them for six months out of the year. Rose Quartz thus became the symbol of reconciliation in love. Rose Quartz was used as a gift of love among Roman youth.
Surface Color: Pink
Streak Color (can vary from surface color, this is the color of the crystals’ powdered minerals): White
Group: Silicates (silicon + oxygen)
Cleavage (where the crystal breaks off naturally to form a new face, parallel to its structure. This is a clean break and can cleave over and over again along the same face, retaining the crystals structure): None
Fracture: Conchoidal (clam-like concave like when glass breaks)
Luster: Vitreous (glassy)
Transparency: Translucent (allows light through the crystal but not fully transparent)
Crystal System: Hexagonal/Trigonal (3 equal axis @ 120’ to one another and a 4th axis perpendicular to the other three)
Crystal Habit: Massive (hunks of stone)
- Opens up your heart to better give and receive love.
- Rose Quartz’s soft, soothing energies, nurture love into your life, healing the wounds of heartache. It may end unhealthy relationships to make room for healthy ones, clearing out past relationship problems so you can move on.
- Rose Quartz heals deep internal wounds of abandonment, rejection, loneliness, low self image to bring true happiness about one’s self and open up this energy to love others (months to years to heal depending on how deep the hurt)
- Like Malachite, Rose Quartz will release many emotions if you allow yourself to release them, but in a gentler fashion than the more aggressive stones.
- Rose Quartz allows you to better appreciate art, nature, humanity and the beauty around us.
- Teaches forgiveness and tolerance
- Seeking love and approval from the outside world weakens our flow of energy and connection to universal love. Rose Quartz helps us resolve issues of self-love and acceptance, which then opens the door to attract soul mates.
- Rose Quartz helps to avoid addictive behaviors that result from poor self-image (example: food disorders)
Using Rose Quartz
- Make a Rose Quartz gem elixir to wash your face and clear the skin.
- Carry Rose Quartz or wear it to regulate blood pressure.
- Wear or place Rose Quartz near the bed to counteract self-induced sleeplessness.
- Gift Rose Quartz jewelry and crystals to strengthen friendships.
- Place Rose Quartz at the Sacral chakra or wear to counteract menstrual pains.
- Circle Rose Quartz stones around a chaotic or confrontational situation (ex: meeting, negotiations, loud neighbors, etc..)
- Place Rose Quartz over cuts and bruises to reduce the pain.
- Wear Rose Quartz during times of grief, to fill the void with loving energy.
- Place Rose Quartz under a baby’s cot to calm restlessness
- Bury Rose Quartz in polluted areas for Earth Healing.
- Circle Rose Quartz around a picture of a worn-torn area while you pray and meditate for peace.
- Place Rose Quartz in drinking water of hyperactive pets.
- Hang Rose Quartz on the collars of traumatized or stray pets.
You may become peacemaker in your family or at your workplace. A blossoming love and friendship is in the sight or reconciliation after a betrayal.
I myself am prone to stronger energies for the heart like Malachite and Rhodochrosite, but I have encountered many friends and clients who swear by Rose Quartz. One friend wore a Rose Quartz necklace to open up her love life. Before long she was complaining that she was getting too many dates and had to stop wearing the necklace because she wanted to get into a steady relationship!
Rose Quartz is a relatively inexpensive stone and found in all sorts of jewelry. The light pink color provides a great contrast with dark stones and provides a calming energy when combined with other pastel stones. Rose Quartz jewelry is the perfect gift to give loves ones to strengthen the bonds in friendships and relationships. At I Dig Crystals we provide genuine Rose Quartz jewelry, accessories and healing tools.